Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Battling that scale.... AND WINNING!

So I was a little skeptical about the weight loss that would come with transitioning two way more Primal lifestyle. For those of you who don't know what this means, it is essentially means eating a very few carbs in your daily diet, limiting your protein intake and bringing up your fat consumption. In other words bring on the bacon butter and broccoli.
I was concerned that I wouldn’t be able to stick with it, and I was skeptical that I would actually lose weight with it. One month in, I can't begin to explain how good I am physically feeling about myself. I have lost approximately 10 pounds since Timberman half Ironman, and my swim, run and bike times has improved significantly.
I am sleeping much better and I feel well rested every morning. My ability to focus is intense and awesome.
When I talk to friends about my new metabolic efficiency lifestyle, they seem quite skeptical and concerned that I am not getting enough fiber or veggies. But as I explained to them, it's not about not eating veggies. The trick is to eat greens/veggies that are loaded with fiber, because that essentially cancels out the impact of the carbs.
How does it work? Essentially a western diet trains us to burn carbs for fuel. But we can re-train our body to burn our fat stores (virtually unlimited stores in my case) instead of carbs. It's all about teaching your body to use the metabolic pathway that prefers fat as a source of fueling all your bodily functions rather than carbohydrates. Proof that this was working for me came the other day in the form of a 21 kilometer trail run. All I had with me was my water backpack and some salts because it was quite warm. Other than that I ate nothing even though traditionally I would have had a good three to four gels (if not more) during the run. And I felt fantastic!

I'm an absolute convert and firm believer bet nutrition fundamental for performance- and then even a stronger proponent of encouraging of metabolic efficiency!