Saturday, May 2, 2009

Race day # 2.... Walterboro Crit

WELL... I lasted 5 more laps in the pack this time around. A total of
15 laps (out of 25). So at last I got somewhat of a good workout in.
At around lap 13, I was hanggin' on for dear life to the back of the
pack, when one girls went down (I think it was Tina Pic), and needless
to say I was in the back of the mass that had to slow down completely.
I guess the ladies up front that avoided the crash picked up the pace
and took off, cause 2 laps later, they were lapping us.
Quite honestly, I bet these women eat children for breakfast. It just
seems humanly impossible to ride so fast! Argh!!!! I take comfort in
thinking that most of these women are in their mid 30's... so I have a
good 5-10 years to work on my winning strategy.

On a more comforting note, I went for an early am ride in the "Great
Swamp" park near here, and not only did I get to see an alligator, but
I ran into the Jittery Joe's pro-squad and we all rolled along merrily
for about an hour. I got to chat quite a bit with Rebbecca Larson (6th
yesterday, I think 5th overall in the series) and she was VERY
encouraging. She said it takes a lot of dedication to race at that
level, but half the fight is having the guts to show up to this kind
of race and not get discouraged.
SO there. I'm not discouraged, in fact I think for the next two races
I'll race the cat3/4 AND the pro 1,2,3 races... I figure my odds of
lasting the whole pro race are slim, but I may as well give it a shot
b/c the 3/4 races are only 15 or so laps (and I proved today I could
last just as much!)... and if I'm gonna have my a$$ handed to me, it
needs to be done in high style.

Ok, am off to pack and bed. Driving up to Spartanburg tomorrow and
chillin' with Carolyn's parents. Tomorrow is a day off from racing and
it'll pick up Friday... YAY! CAN't WAIT FOR ANOTHER REALITY CHECK!!!!