Sunday, May 3, 2009

Race day # 3... Spartanburg x 2

Ok, let me just say that if you feel like I'm spamming ur inbox with
my race reports, just hit delete now.

So today was a little better than my other days. I started out the
category 3/4 race with 20 women... of which only 15ish of us survived
a big ol' crash (I think it may have had something to do with the
juniors racing at the same time). I placed 7th overall and won the
sprint lap (a cool pair of socks). I wasn't ecstatic abt my placing,
but quite OK with it... most girls had travelled from far away for
this crit, which was cool cause you knew right from the get go how bad
they all wanted it.

So after the 3/4 race, I went for a little spin to cool down and waste
time before the BIG race. I stopped one last time by the ladies room,
and when I came out, Laura Van Gilder
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laura_Van_Gilder) walks up to me and
asked how my last race had gone... I was speechless. Here was this
demi-god figure who is pretty much at the top of the world wide
cycling food chain, asking about my 3/4 race had gone. She said she
had seem me racing and that she knew I was also doing the other
races... she went on to encourage me to keep trucking and attempting
to survive these "real" races... she said hard work really pays off.
That was all the encouragement I needed to get pumped for the next
race and forget that I was missing out on Oaks and Derby for this
bloody bike carnage.
I lasted all of 17 minutes before getting pulled.

So to sum it thus far, as of yesterday, in the overall Speedweek Pro
1/2/3 category, I'm ranked 66 out of 85. I'm pretty psyched... I
mean... I'm not # 85... or #84 for that matter.
Well, tomorrow is another women's Open race in North Carolina... no
3/4 category race to lift my ego off the pavement. 3 more races to go
and I'll be heading back to KY... to drink whatever leftover beer and
mint juleps I can find.