Monday, March 13, 2017

The lie of not being thin enough


I, like many others in this world, have struggled my entire life to make peace with what the scale says. Even though I've pushed my body to achieve incredible feats, I still have the nerve to judge it and criticize its "flaws" when looking in the mirror. The belly flab after birthing two children, the saggy-ness that comes with not being 20 anymore... how can I have so little compassion for this amazing body that has been through it all with me? Not once has it left me stranded or has it not risen to the occasion.
But today, Coach Kitty sent me an article that reminded me how performance comes in all shapes and sizes. I don't have to be stick skinny to be a good triathlete, and I certainly didn't have to starve myself in order to qualify for Team USA- I just had to to show up in the right place, at the right time, with the right mindset... with this one awesome body that I have.

Today I'm going to try loving myself a little more. This body is awesome and I am thankful for all the amazing adventures we've been through together.

Now, if you find yourself being critical to yourself, and in need a little further reading on the matter, here's an awesome article of a top-notch cross-country runner on overcoming the lie of not being thin enough:

http://www.flotrack.org/article/49098-rachele-schulist-overcomes-the-lie-of-not-being-thin-enough#.WMb5VhLyvVq